Friday, May 8, 2009

I'm Willard...Mundane

Hi, I'm Willard.  Willy if you like.  My boss calls me Mr. Mundane even though we're very good friends.  The names I call him, well, nevermind.

You'll get to know me throughout my entries.  I don't know how to describe what I do.  I make a difference in whatever possible way I can.  

I'm a cubicle drone.  So what do I do?  Our company facilitate trades.  Cargo, containers, air freight shipments.  You looking to move things around, our firm knows the layouts of the global trading routes.  Carl's business, which was his dad and uncle's business, has been serving small and medium size businesses, sometimes large ones too, for over fifty years.  So we know our stuff.

My job here is to do whatever Carl tells me to do.  The guy is brilliant.  Steve Jobs brilliant but knows nothing about the day-to-day stuff.  His job is to pleasure in business - golfing, nightclubs, and sometimes, presentations.  You can say I'm his right-hand man.  

He's got VPs and managers who have been there longer but I get along with them fine.  They're good people.  Some egos but nothing that gets in the way of the work.  I usually start off by "hey, you want me to make your life easier?"  And I never take credit.  It's not why I agreed to work for Carl.  

This is why I agreed to work for Carl.  I need his company's network and resources.  And I know how to be discrete about using it.  Maybe Carl knows what I'm up to.  Maybe not.  

Right now, I'm tracking down the source of the H1N1.  Something bugs me big time.   No, I didn't get sick from it.  That's not what I mean by "bug".  

What "bothers" me is the fluidity by which it was able to travel.  So I started mapping out the epicenter of the outbreak.  If you wanted to create one, you make it happen near a major international hub.  In this instance,  I concurn with WHO it was Mexico City.

Here's what we know about the strain.  It's relatively a light-weight compared to the common influenza.  No where nearly as potent as SARS or the bird flu.  

I decided to check with a mentor of mine, Dr. Pravus Green.  A formerly renouned biochemist and genecist who fell out of academia providence due to his "increasingly radical views" on the environment and nature".  He wrote a book called "EcoWar" which was never published. 

I'll be back later with what we discussed.  You'll want to read this first from MSNBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment